|I fixed Scaffolder to run global-singleton scripts in-editor,|
which is important for rendering accurate styling in the scene editor tool!
tl;dr: I simplified how my frameworks are configured, I fixed a big problem with in-editor rendering, and I made more styling improvements.
What happened last week?
- I simplified how my frameworks are configured and bootstrapped.
- I had received some feedback that there were a few too many moving parts to worry about!
- The client now only needs to:
- Include the code in `addons/`
- Define an AutoLoad singleton
- Define framework parameters in an `app_manifest` dictionary
- Call `Sc.run(app_manifest)`
- This gives a much better development experience!
- The problem was that the scene editor tool had become less-and-less useful and reflected reality less-and-less as I moved more-and-more configuration into my global singletons.
- There were some interesting quirks of the Godot editor to learn about and work around, but things are working pretty well!
Framework configuration simplification
Refactor bootstrap/app-config system to require only a single invocation for the client.
Replace bootstrap class-extension pattern with composition, and use signals instead of overridden lifecycle methods.
Remove reference to main node from bootstrap.
Make app-config classes extend a common interface.
Remove the first-line-crash-reporter-notification log message.
Rename the Scaffolder, Surfacer, and MommaDuck AutoLoads, and rename the config filenames to match their corresponding AutoLoad names.
`scaffolder_config.gd` / `Gs` => `sc.gd` / `Sc`
`surafcer_config.gd` / `Surfacer` => `su.gd` / `Su`
`momma_duck_config.gd` / `MommaDuck` => `app.gd` / `App`
This has the downside of being less descriptive.
But, the consistency between filename and AutoLoad name is a benefit.
And having the AutoLoads use a very short/abbreviation name is good, since they are used all over the place.
Update screen accept/exit input handling to use registered actions.
Move some metadata methods out of the top-level Scaffolder config.
Add support for automatically defining various Project Settings fields and Input Map actions, so the client doesn't need to define these manually.
AutoLoad global-singleton in-editor support
Make top-level app-config AutoLoad singletons be `tool`s, so they can run in the editor, and remove in-editor guards from other `tool`s that were previously meant to avoid accessing AutoLoads.
Declare many more scripts as `tool`s.
Fix lots of console errors that were due to running scripts in the editor (now that they’re `tool`s).
Fix usages of _enter_tree and _exit_tree, so that they never rely on only being called once.
When running things in the game environment, I can reliably control a Node’s lifecycle and when it attaches and detaches from the scene tree.
However, when running things as `tool`s in the editor environment, I cannot predict or control when the editor will attach/detach nodes!
This was causing a really terrible experience where the editor would crash as soon as it opened itself and then tried to re-open the previous scenes, which would then crash because the editor detaches and reattaches them, which leads to invalid state, because I sometimes was freeing-up state on-detach.
So I use a custom `_destroy` method for any nodes that I need to clean-up state when they are done.
The downside of this approach is that I have to be very careful to remember to manually call `_destroy` on the right things at the right times.
Use Gs.device.get_viewport_size() instead of get_viewport().size directly.
The benefit of this, is that it will work even if the call-site context isn’t currently attached to the scene tree.
Declare most remaining scenes as `tool`s.
Support StyleBoxTexture for overlay panels.
This gives me more control over how panel borders are rendered, by using nine-patch textures.
This also lets me render things with a more pixelated style.
The previous style I was using created flat colors, with rounded corners, and shadows.
HUD key-value boxes
Create ScaffolderHSeparator and ScaffolderVSeparator.
Use ScaffolderHSeparator in WelcomePanel and InspectorPanel.
Update StyleBoxTextureScalable to re-use a globally-cached Image, rather than re-creating the same re-scaled image many times.
Fix initial rotation of accordion carets.
Fix focus styling.
Godot inconsistently uses the keys “focused” and “focus”.
Also, Godot doesn’t report when you try to reference an invalid style key.
So I wasted a fair amount of time trying to figure out what was going wrong here!
Remove bg_color option for color_pulse, and just use modulate_color.
Create a placeholder for a new accordion-header class.
Move `display_resized` to DeviceUtils.
Rename `app_metadata` to `metadata`.
Add a work-around for a Godot bug incorrectly reporting a missing InputMap action.
- Do a tiny bit more styling and pixelation work in Scaffolder.
- Resume work on a list of Surfacer improvements.
Post a Comment