tl;dr: I finished Octobit and made a lot of pixel art!
I'm doing Octobit this year! So I'm spending most of my time this month developing my art skills, rather than writing code!
Also, I've been recording time-lapse videos for each of my creations, so check those out too!
Day 25: Homemade weapon
- Trebuchets are cool.
- All the little movements in there were a lot of fun to animate.
- I need to get more practice with trees, mountains, and clouds, since it's so common to want to throw them in the background.
Day 26: Skull
- I tried some dithering by hand on the skull. I bet there're some important techniques I should know about...
- Dribbly candles are tricky!
Day 27: Homewrecker
- The collapsing building was easy!
- The muscles were hard!
- ...and also difficult! ...hah, hah, hah.
Day 28: Robot
- :) Roomba's are cool!
- This is one of my most popular pieces in the pixel-art Facebook group I've been posting in.
Day 29: Stained glass
- I don't know why I decided on the Settlers of Catan.
- I guess I thought it had to be colorful, and flowers are over-done.
Day 30: Gashapon
- I'm still not fully certain on what exactly a gashapon is (Is it only small dispenser boxes like this? Does the shape/size of the capsule matter?), but I think this probably looks like it!
- I was originally planning to animate a cat's paw spinning the dial and swiping the capsule out, but I ran out of time, so this is what you get!
Day 31: Time's up
- SQUEAK (said in deep resounding voice you can feel in your very soul).
- I'm on book 37 of 41 in Terry Pratchet's amazing Discworld series, so that gave me some inspiration for this one!
- The Death of Rats is a recurring character, and the concept of hourglass-like life-timers recurs as well.
- I thought an hourglass and mortality both fit pretty well for the theme!
- No time-lapse for this one!
- I made this mostly on my laptop, from an AirBnB, so I didn't have my normal screen setup.
- Also, I had a head cold while making this one, and that didn't help!
Code and other work
- No code again last week.
- I am definitely faster at creating art after this month, but I also wanted to push myself to create some more interesting pieces last week!
- I'm very excited to get back to my code this week!
- Octobit is over!
- "Now get back to work!"
- I'll resume working on Surfacer platformer AI features.
- Mostly I'll probably just finish some work on oddly-shaped-surfaces.
- I'll also write-up a quick separate post on my overall experience with Octobit.