tl;dr: I finished Octobit and made a lot of pixel art!
See all of my Octobit art at levi.dev/octobit!
I'm doing Octobit this year! So I'm spending most of my time this month developing my art skills, rather than writing code!
Also, I've been recording time-lapse videos for each of my creations, so check those out too!
Octobit is a challenge to create one piece of pixel art per day during the month of October. Here is this year's daily prompt list.
Day 25: Homemade weapon
- Trebuchets are cool.
- All the little movements in there were a lot of fun to animate.
- I need to get more practice with trees, mountains, and clouds, since it's so common to want to throw them in the background.
Day 26: Skull
- I tried some dithering by hand on the skull. I bet there're some important techniques I should know about...
- Dribbly candles are tricky!
Day 27: Homewrecker
- The collapsing building was easy!
- The muscles were hard!
- ...and also difficult! ...hah, hah, hah.
Day 28: Robot
- :) Roomba's are cool!
- This is one of my most popular pieces in the pixel-art Facebook group I've been posting in.
Day 29: Stained glass
- I don't know why I decided on the Settlers of Catan.
- I guess I thought it had to be colorful, and flowers are over-done.
Day 30: Gashapon
- I'm still not fully certain on what exactly a gashapon is (Is it only small dispenser boxes like this? Does the shape/size of the capsule matter?), but I think this probably looks like it!
- I was originally planning to animate a cat's paw spinning the dial and swiping the capsule out, but I ran out of time, so this is what you get!
Day 31: Time's up
- SQUEAK (said in deep resounding voice you can feel in your very soul).
- I'm on book 37 of 41 in Terry Pratchet's amazing Discworld series, so that gave me some inspiration for this one!
- The Death of Rats is a recurring character, and the concept of hourglass-like life-timers recurs as well.
- I thought an hourglass and mortality both fit pretty well for the theme!
- No time-lapse for this one!
- I made this mostly on my laptop, from an AirBnB, so I didn't have my normal screen setup.
- Also, I had a head cold while making this one, and that didn't help!
Code and other work
- No code again last week.
- I am definitely faster at creating art after this month, but I also wanted to push myself to create some more interesting pieces last week!
- I'm very excited to get back to my code this week!
- Octobit is over!
- "Now get back to work!"
- I'll resume working on Surfacer platformer AI features.
- Mostly I'll probably just finish some work on oddly-shaped-surfaces.
- I'll also write-up a quick separate post on my overall experience with Octobit.
Post a Comment