|I made editor icons for the behavior nodes:|
follow, collide, run-away,
climb-adjacent-surfaces, move-back-and-forth, jump-back-and-forth, wander
tl;dr: Last week I implemented a new character-behavior system, and a new character-spawn-position system.
What happened last week?
- I implemented the new character-behavior system.
- I created a new character-spawn-position system.
- Implement character-behavior system:
- Add a new standard _on_navigation_ended method to BehaviorControllers.
- Implement a lot more navigation-related logic in BehaviorControllers.
- Add BehaviorController logic for triggering, pausing, and transitioning-to-the-next-behavior-controller.
- Update behavior-controller finish and pause logic.
- Refactor MoveBackAndForthBehaviorController and UserNavigationBehaviorController to fit the new patterns.
- Remove Behavior._on_player_ready event.
- Update behavior-controller logic relating to returning-to-starting-surface and first-surface-attachment.
- Add a new ChoreographyBehaviorController.
- Remove the separate concept of PlayerBehaviorType.
- Add standard error-handling for failing navigation in BehaviorControllers.
- Add support for querying BehaviorControllers by name.
- Add support for configuring whether to return to the original start position or just the position before this behavior.
- Rename "behavior controller" to "behavior".
- Fix issues relating to the setup of ReturnBehavior.
- Fix issues relating to the setup of RunAwayBehavior and CollideBehavior.
- Update behavior-controllers to consider current and behavior-start surfaces/positions rather than player-start surfaces/positions.
- Fix issues with ReturnBehavior position.
- Fix an issue with when the default behavior is activated.
- Add support for continuing to run after first nav in run-away-behavior.
- Update Behaviors to update start position/surface during each move, and to use these more-accurate values instead of other state from the player instance.
- Implement FollowBehavior.
- Add support for distinguishing between max-distance-from-player-start-position vs max-distance-from-behavior-start-position.
- Add support for handling reached-max-distance events differently than navigation-failed events.
- Update duckling to use new FollowBehavior.
Fixed some bugs in CollideBehavior.
Fixed a bug with initially activating the default behavior.
- Create and use a standard SpawnPosition system.
- Update level-logic to use default player creation according to SpawnPositions.
- Add support for configuring surface-side attachment with SpawnPosition.
- Add support for configuring surface-attachment when adding players to a level.
- Add initial-surface-attachment calculations for SurfacerPlayer.
- Add a hacky work-around in SpawnPosition, so that it doesn’t reference MovementParameters.
- SpawnPosition is in Scaffolder.
- Scaffolder shouldn’t reference anything in Surfacer.
- SpawnPosition supports optionally specifying the surface-attachment direction, which depends on surfacey stuff.
- I should probably instead sub-class SpawnPosition in Surfacer and only include the surfacey bits in that sub-class, but I don’t have the time at the moment.
- Rename MovementParams to MovementParameters.
- Move Time inner-classes out into separate files.
Add support for excluding or exclusively-including each SpawnPosition.
- This makes quick debugging much easier!
|Now each player is configured in a level with the new SpawnPosition.|
SpawnPosition shows information like the character's initial surface-attachment direction, or whether the player should temporarily be excluded or exclusively included.
- Brainstorm better approaches to finding a path to a given point.
- I used to just care about finding the nearest position-along-a-surface.
- I now care about finding the nearest position-along-a-surface that is also reachable.
- And I also now care about whether the character would be able to return back to their starting position.
- Refactor squirrel-away to run as an addon.
- This means that Squirrel Away can no longer run on its own.
- It instead must be run within the addons/ folder of a separate project.
- This makes it a little more convoluted to run on its own.
- But this makes it easy to also update Squirrel Away source code when making framework changes from another project.
- But this will make it a lot easier to keep Squirrel Away up-to-date with the latest framework changes!
- Update READMEs.
- Update export configurations.
- Rename some common file/class names, so they don't conflict with those in other apps.
- Refactor player event-logging.
- Standardize pre-existing logging statements, so that they go through the standard player log system, and are easily configurable.
- Add export-property grouping for player logs properties.
- Use more warning logs.
- Add support for configuring whether additional types of framework events are logged.
- Add more timestamps to logs.
- Create a utility for padding a string with spaces.
- Add log statements when entering/exiting proximity/collision.
- Rename things:
- Rename “player” to “character” throughout the codebase.
- Rename "computer character" to "npc" throughout the codebase.
- Rename "human character" to "player character" throughout the codebase.
- Rename "user" to "player" in some places.
- Create and use a new utility for translating vectors to strings with a given number of significant decimal places.
- Move some additional navigation state into PlayerNavigationState.
- Add some additional navigation-state logic for tracking when a state flag just changed.
- Add support for seeding the random number generator.
- Add support for configuring a base_path value for file paths across the app.
- Fix recent-movement-setting save-state.
- Add support for toggling NPC navigation annotations in settings.
- Remove support for auto-exclamation-marks on each new nav.
- Lost almost an entire day dealing with Google bricking my Pixel 3 phone with their latest OS update.
- This week I'll spend most of my time finishing the behavior controller system.
- There are still a lot of little things to add!
Post a Comment