|Variable friction, max-speed, and grabbability!|
tl;dr: I added support for configurable frictions, dynamic max speeds, and collinear neighbor surfaces.
What happened last week?
- Surface properties configured per-tile.
- Configurable frictions
- Dynamic max speeds
- Collinear neighbor surfaces
- Create a new concept of surface properties:
- These are parameters like friction, max-speed, grabbability, fall-through-ability.
- These can be configured on a given tile in a tile-set.
- Update surface-parsing to record surface properties.
- Refactor how tile-set properties are configured.
- Configurable frictions:
- Refactor how surface friction values are stored.
- Create a tile-set with separate tiles for different surface frictions.
- Start refactoring how friction is calculated.
- My old approach didn’t support making it difficult to get up-to-speed when the floor is slippery.
- It previously only added a force against the direction of motion, which is what causes the character to slow down when not pressing sideways controls.
- Update stopping-distance calculations to account for new friction logic.
- Update intra-surface edge and calculator to include counter-acceleration friction.
- Dynamic max speeds:
- Fix how intra_surface_edge_speed_multiplier is used.
- I originally added this very quickly during my last game jam.
- My original implementation was consequently pretty broken.
- Now it scales the intra-surface acceleration/velocity (walk, climb, crawl) as well as the max-horizontal-velocity while attached to surfaces.
- Fix default velocity-cap to account for intra_surface_edge_speed_multiplier.
- Add a separate max-speed multiplier for in-air.
- Add more utilities for accessing the current on-surface and in-air max-horizontal-speed values.
- Start adding support for a speed_multiplier in individual surface properties.
- Update walk_acceleration to use speed_multiplier.
- Include surface speed_multiplier in velocity, acceleration, and max-speed calculations.
- Replace clamp_horizontal_velocity_to_max_default with more specific logic using new distinct-surface and multiplier logic.
- Fix some bugs from the recent speed-multiplier logic.
- Collinear neighbor surfaces:
- Add support for not merging collinear neighbor surfaces.
- Update WaypointUtils to account for collinear neighbor surfaces.
- Update climb-to-adjacent-surface edge and calculator logic for collinear neighbors.
- Add a separate edge weight for collinear neighbor surfaces.
- Fix a bug with PositionAlongSurface instances referencing a collinear neighbor.
- Fix surface-annotation drawing for collinear neighbors.
- Update navigation-state-update logic to account for collinear-neighbor surfaces.
- Add logic to nudge a contact point along an axially-aligned segment toward the shape center.
- This is important because Godot will determine that the contact-point is the corner of the character’s collision boundary.
- This is technically correct (since two collinear and overlapping segments have infinitely many points of intersection), but a centered contact-point is more intuitive and useful.
- Before fixing this, I was seeing problems with collisions being detected on the wrong collinear neighbor surface.
- Similarly, add logic to correct which axially-aligned collinear-neighbor surface is used when Godot collision detection returns contact points based on collider corners rather than mid-segment.
- That is, this corrects which surface is used, and before we were just correcting the point that was used.
- Update SurfaceParser to remove any single-vertex collinear-neighbor surfaces.
- Fix an issue with move-to-adjacent-collinear-surface-edges never colliding with the end surface.
- Update intra-surface-edge start-velocities to match previous-edge end-velocities.
- Fix a bug with check_just_landed_on_expected_surface.
- Fix a coordinate-typo bug in nudge_point_along_axially_aligned_segment_toward_shape_center.
- Create a surface_enablement editor icon.
- Update SurfaceStore filtering to omit surfaces with `can_grab=false` in their properties.
- Add some new tiles for testing other surface properties.
- Finish adding support for slow, fast, and disabled tiles.
- A very short week!
- If I have time, I'll try adding support for referring to categories of characters, rather than individual characters, throughout my frameworks.
Post a Comment