|I added support for in-air destinations!|
This shows a brief fun bug I had, before I'd added logic to detect when the player had actually reached the destination for an in-air target.
tl;dr: I added support for navigating to in-air destinations when the click point is too far from a surface, and I added some small improvements to navigation preselection annotations.
What happened last week?
- I added support for navigating to in-air destinations when the click point is too far from a surface.
- I added some small improvements to navigation preselection annotations.
- I make the player position/animation-frame prediction more faint when it is further in the future and less likely to be accurate.
- I make the player position/animation-frame prediction face the correct left/right direction more accurately.
- I show an exclamation mark over the player's head when starting a new navigation.
- Fix some small issues with edge trajectory and duration calculations.
- Fix some issues with checkbox scaling.
- Create a new data structure for storing the selection position as well as its nearby surface position and navigation destination.
- Remove some obsolete edge types, in preparation for supporting in-air destinations.
- Fix some small bugs relating to edge trajectory calculations.
- Start debugging an issue relating to an empty jump trajectory from a false-positive collision result.
- Add support for considering alternate possible collision state when colliding with an unexpected (highly oblique) surface normal.
- Compared performance with and without my new logic to consider alternate collision points.
- I actually saw a few less valid edges being returned when this new check is enabled, which is definitely not what should be the case.
- I should debug that later...
- Add special handling for edge calculations that end with a valid collision much earlier than anticipated.
- Require a min number of frames. If less than min, reject the edge.
- Update duration when edge calculation ends with collision with expected surface.
- Add support for in-air destinations.
- New annotations.
- New edge calculations.
- New navigation logic.
- Re-name edges and calculators to no-longer imply they must end along a surface.
- Update navigator to re-use selection-nearby-position-along-surface info in addition to the standard destination target point.
- Update size and cone-count of in-air destination indicator.
- Move path calculation and storage to PointerSelectionPosition.
- Calculate alternate jump-off points for in-air destinations, using nearby surfaces of a different side type, when the initial nearest-surface-attempt fails.
- The reason this was useful is because I have a scenario where I want to jump to an in-air position that is near the ceiling. I want to jump from a floor that is beneath this position. But, the closest position-along-a-surface is along a nearby wall, and jumping from that wall would cause the player to bonk their head on the ceiling, and then fall-short of the in-air target.
- However, this ended up not working out, since it can be the case that, even though I know I want to jump from a floor instead of a wall, the closest floor could actually be near-the-ceiling-and-to-the-side-of the target, or it could even be above the target, and either of these jump-off positions would be invalid.
- So I found another heuristic to use instead...
- Calculate the top-n closest jump-off points for in-air destinations, so that we can just use the closest that yields a valid surface-to-air edge.
- Add support for detecting edge-complete with in-air destinations.
- Fix Navigator to update paths for stale selections.
- Add path-optimization for in-air destinations, which could eliminate whole edges from the path.
- Add a flag for also optimizing paths during preselection.
- Fix bug with level-select screen still responding to keyboard events when closed.
- Show an exclamation mark when a player starts a new navigation.
- Render the player prediction ghost as faint and yellow when there is less confidence.
- Update player predictions to base player-facing-direction off of the actual edge instructions rather than just velocity.
- Fix issue with climb-down-wall-to-floor-edges cancelling navigation early when reaching the floor.
- Start adding support for auto-zooming and panning the camera out when the user is trying to navigate close to the edge of the game region (and back in if not).
- Finish adding support for auto-zooming and panning the camera out when the user is trying to navigate close to the edge of the game region (and back in if not).
Post a Comment